Welcome
Welcome to solorpgs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Free Will 0.2

Have a short idea or technique that you've playtested? Maybe a short tool like a random table that you like? Share the wealth!

If your playtested idea feels more like a complete system, please share it in the Reviews & Recommendation forum.

Free Will 0.2

Postby neldelx » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:09 am

Free Will is an interactive framework to use with the Mythic GME.

Unlike another drivers, which are rigid and the scenes are stablished before the game begins, Free Will allows the player to guide the story by choosing which kind of scenes will happen next.
It is system aseptic, thus player can use any rpg system and idea generator.

Free Will is based on the flow of three scores:

- Opponent Points (from now on, OP):
These points represent how threatening and strong is becoming the force against whom the Protagonist is fighting, no matter if it's a person, an organization or even a natural disaster.

- Protagonist Points (from now on, PP):
These points represent how prepared is getting the Protagonist to defeat the Opponent at the Conflict scene.

- Setting Points (from now on, SP):
These points represent how detailed is the ambientation or knowledge about the NPCs. they might look irrelevant, but they ultimately enrich the story, help growing the Protagonist and help finishing the story.

As usual in Mythic GME, the player will be noting down the Chaos Factor, the Genre and the NPC list. Also, the player will keep the score of the Opponent Points, Protagonist Points and Setting Points. Alongside with numbering the Scenes, he will choose which kind of them will be played according to the success and exits from the previous ones.

The first scene is the Beginning, when OP, PP and SP are 0 (in a neutral situation, more about this later).
The penultimate scene is the Conflict, which happens whenever OP, PP or SP are 4.
And the last scene is the Ending, which has no OP, PP and SP scoring, but serves to close the story by telling the consequences of the final conflict.

At the Beginning scene, the player describes the situation and the involvement of the Protagonist.
The score of OP, PP and SP is 0, unless the player wants an initial situation where the Opponent or the Protagonist has some advantage, in that case the favourite one begins at 1.

After that, the player proceeds to the Square.
The Square is not a scene. It's just a point for the player to take a look to the different scenes playable according to the score of OP, PP and SP as long as each one of them is 3 or lesser.
Once those scores are updated, the player checks which are the triggerable scenes (Research, Tension and Walk are always choosable).

When a new scene is begun, the player describes the goal to attain during it, and plays the scene as usual with the chosen rpg system and the Mythic GME.
When the scene is finished, the player decides if the goal has been attained (pass) or not (fail). According to the kind of scene and its result, the score of OP, PP and SP will be updated differently.

There are three kind of scenes that must be played at least once during the game:
Research, Tension and Walk.
Whenever OP, PP or SP become 4, the player proceeds to play the Conflict scene, unless any of the three basic scenes hasn't been played yet, in that case the lacking one will be the very next scene.
OP, PP and SP are not stored among games.

List of scenes
This is the list of all the different scenes in alphabetical order.
When a scene can be chosen is explained first, later the goal to obtain during the scene, and finally how the outcome of the scene updates OP, PP and SP.

Beginning
Choose situation:
- Neutral, nor Protagonist neither Opponent has the advantatge: OP = 0, PP = 0, and SP = 0
- Protagonist begins in a good situation: OP = 0, PP = 1, and SP = 0
- Protagonist begins in a bad situation: OP = 1, PP = 0, and SP = 0
The player describes the situation and the involvement of the Protagonist.
Next scene: Square

Change
Playable if OP ≥ PP+2
Must be played if PP ≥ OP+3
Goal: The story is somehow altered (place, mood, who's hunting whom, ...)
Results:
- Fail: OP +1 and SP +1
- Pass: PP +1 and SP +1
Next: Square

Conflict
Must be played when OP ≥ 4, PP ≥ 4, or SP ≥ 4 and the three basic scenes have already been played.
The player substract the score that reached 4 to its opposite. (PP - OP, or OP - PP). Whoever has a positive score, gets the edge in the final conflict among them.
The player describes how the Protagonist and the Opposition finally match each other. The situation will be advantageous for whoever got 4 points first. Maybe he attacks by surprise, or simply has the initiative, or chooses the battleground, ... The bigger the result of the substraction (PP-OP, or OP-PP), the bigger the advantage.
Note: In the usual systems I play it's as easy as scaling the Pass/Fail cycle (HQ2) or granting Aspects (FATE) in benefit of whoever got 4 points first.
Goal: The final confrontation between the Protagonist and the Opponent takes place here.
Next scene: Ending

Ending
Playable only after the Conflict.
Goal: To tell the consequences of the conflict and summarize how the goal of the story has been obtained (or not).

Relax
Playable only if PP ≥ OP+2, or if OP ≥ PP+2
Goal: Since the rival has got too advantageous, the other side tries to calm down the situation. Or since one side got a big advantage, he feels confident and takes a break that the other side might exploit.
Results:
- Fail: OP become 1 and PP become 0
- Pass: OP become 0 and PP become 1

Research
Must be played at least once during the game.
Goal: To obtain knowledge about the setting, the Opponent or the Protagonist when it is related to the goal of the main story.
Results:
- Fail: OP +1
- Pass: PP +1
(If 2 Research scenes are played in a row, then the next scene will be Tension)

Rest
Playable only once per game.
Goal: The protagonist gets comforted, healed or involved in any action not related with the main story.
Result: It doesn't matter if the Protagonist passes or fails, in any case OP +1

Revelation
Playable only if SP ≥ 2
Goal: Due to previously obtained knowledge about the setting, the Protagonist may get further knowledge about the Opponent
Results:
- Fail: OP +2 and SP become 0
- Pass: PP +2 and SP become 0

Risk
Playable only once per game.
This is a more profitable/dangerous scene than Tension
Goal: The Protagonist incurs in a risky situation in order to get advantage on the Opponent, this means that there might be a face-to-face between the Protagonist and the Opponent, but it won't be the conclusive challenge.
Results:
- Fail: OP +2
- Pass: PP +2

Square
Proceed here as long as OP ≤ 3, PP ≤ 3, or SP ≤ 3
Basic scenes (They are always choosable,and they must be played at least once during the game):
- Research
- Tension
- Walk
Triggerable scenes:
- Change (If OP ≥ PP+2) (Must be played if PP ≥ OP+3)
- Conflict (If OP ≥ 4, PP ≥ 4, or SP ≥ 4)
- Relax (If PP ≥ OP+2, or OP ≥ PP+2)
- Rest (Only once per game)
- Revelation (If SP ≥ 2)
- Risk (Only once per game)

Tension
Risk is a more hazardous scene than Tension
Goal: To match the opponent in order to diminish its power, this means that there might be a face-to-face between the Protagonist and the Opponent, but it won't be the conclusive challenge.
Results:
- Fail: OP +1 and SP +1
- Pass: PP +1 and SP +1
(If 2 Tension scenes are played in a row, then the next scene will be Walk)

Walk
Goal: To explore the setting, interact with NPCs or detail the Protagonist in anything not related with the main story.
Result: SP +1 (It doesn't matter if the Protagonist passes or fails)
(If 2 Walk scenes are played in a row, then the next scene will be Research)

I would like to thank the attention, suggestions and criticism this draft received in the Mythic GME Yahoo list, specially amadarasz621.
Also, I fully allow everybody to modify Free Will.
- Nel
neldelx

Re: Free Will 0.2

Postby neldelx » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:13 am

neldelx

Postby solorpggamer » Mon May 02, 2016 8:45 am

This was being talked about a lot recently. I had a chance to do a read through, and I really like it. :)

By the way, I meant this forum to be for short ideas, short techniques and small tools like random tables (I totally need to make that clearer). I'm thinking of moving both topics to the Products section, since this seems like a well thought out, full featured system.
solorpggamer
Site Admin

Postby altodizi » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:21 pm

I've been using the "Free Will system" as gleaned from a forum post elsewhere while trying to hunt up the original. It's working really well for my current solo adventure -- I really like the structure it gives, kind of a mid-point between Mythic's 'roll up a scene and see where it takes you' and Scarlet Heroes' framework. I'm finding that in play, I tend to get carried away and roll up a mythic scene, then go "wait, I have points, I should spend them" and then I end up using the mythic scene as the seed in the context of the Free Will scene. Looking forward to reading the original now. Just really nice work, thank you!
altodizi

Return to Hot Ideas for Solo Roleplaying