Welcome
Welcome to solorpgs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

The Fabletop Campaign

Tell us about your adventures!

The Fabletop Campaign

Postby USSVoyager » Thu May 12, 2016 9:41 pm

Hey everyone. I am the Voyager and I run a site called Solo RPG Voyages. For the initiated, Solo RPG Voyages are my voyages into roleplaying games in short, usually one-shot sessions. My ongoing mission? To see if the new Engine everyone’s talking about will be my new favorite, to see just how well this new Driver works, and, most important of all, to see just how you can play RPGs solo. I’ve done several RPGs solo now and I can say without a doubt that there isn’t one game I had difficulty soloing. I even managed to make a LARP scenario intended to be with more than one player a solo experience.

Today, we’re gonna take a voyage into something that’s not an RPG, an Engine, or a Driver. Rather, we’re taking a voyage to the virtual tabletop Fabletop. This is a free, virtual tabletop and I had just registered for it, only for it to land me not in a blank map, but rather a tavern filled with two soldiers, a drunk, and the bartender.

Not only that, but I discovered it had premade maps too. When I created a character to play as, I found it uses its own system too. With that, I decided to make a Lone Wolf exclusive campaign. Each post will be a different scene and we’ll see just how Fabletop plays out. The Engine I’ll be using is a custom made Engine, combining the framework of CRGE with the chaos of GME. CRGE Kai, for short.

So I fiddled with the settings a bit and I created myself a rogue named Red. Red has entered into the tavern and the first thing he spots are the two guards.

[Q: Are they guarding the place? Purpose: To Beginnings. A: 46. Surge Counter: 1]

No. They’re just drinking the night away. Red tries to stealth away from the soldiers, but sadly, they spot him. How they did it was a pretty easy task resolution.

When your character’s made, he has just three traits: Strength, Agility, and Wisdom. He also has two bonus traits describing his job and additional talents, which can add to his roll. Combining my role as a rogue with my Agility, I had four dice to roll. These dice are different than normal dice. They have a 1-in-3 chance of rolling a star, the game’s equivalent to a success.

I rolled none, and the soldiers, with half the dice, managed to catch Red with one star.

[Q: Are they too drunk to do anything? Purpose: To Conflict. A: 51, Surge making it 53]

Well, they just see me and begin slurring up, but they fall over, tipsy. Red passes them and goes to the table with the town drunk. The town drunk had called for him to meet him at the tavern. Red begins to speak in a secret language called Thieves Cant to avoid suspicion from the soldiers.

[Wisdom 2 + Rogue 1. Roll: One Star]

[Opposition: 1 Die. Roll: Moon]

Now, you may wonder what a moon is. A Moon is… Well, it’s not exactly a critical. But rather, it tells you a good thing happened. A positive twist.

In this case, the soldier knows we’re talking in Thieves Cant, but he’s secretly a spy who infiltrated the town guards.

The drunk explains his case (in Thieves Cant to avoid suspicion) and it’s revealed that he needs Red to steal from someone: his neighbour. It turns out he stole a vase that holds not only sentimental value, but also monetary value as well. Red has to retrieve the vase. Red agrees and heads off. Following him is the soldier, who joins him. With that, we end out scene.

END OF SCENE TALLY:

Chaos has decreased (Level 4)

Surge Counter: 1

NPCs:
    Town Drunk *New!*
    Bartender *New!*
    Soldiers *New!*

Threads:
    Soldier Infiltration *New!*
    To Steal A Vase *New!*

So with the first scene down, will our heroes succeed in stealing the vase? Find out next time!
Last edited by USSVoyager on Fri May 13, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
USSVoyager

Re: The Fabletop Campaign

Postby USSVoyager » Fri May 13, 2016 2:22 pm

Alright, so we have our quest, and now we’ll be able to get into more of Fabletop.

[Scene Roll: 0]

So we have an event!

[Event Focus: 35. Introduce a New NPC. Event Meanings: Struggle Pleasures]

So, while in the streets of town, Red and White (The rogue who infiltrated the guards) come across a thug named Victor Black. Victor offers them with tons of money if they were to look the other way on the whole vase business. Now, while I would agree mechanics wise, money is not a factor in Fabletop, so I’m gonna be a lawful good guy and say “lel, nope.”

To which he sends his goons on us. Now we have our first combat. Combat goes in a cinematic fashion, meaning there’s no initiative to be had anywhere. Combat is also basic, so one star = one point of damage. In this case, Red got hit for one point.

So we retaliate. Red ends up killing one whereas White missed. White is special in this case, since he took a Might of three, added it with his Warrior class and Holy trait (which is added whenever the condition “enemy of evil” comes up, and these thieves are certainly evil), only for him to miss.

The thieves retaliate by ganging up on White. One ends up dealing two damage to him, another rolls a Moon and causes him to drop his sword, and the last one rolls a Skull (reverse of a Moon) and drops his weapon.

Red takes advantage of this by going on the offensive with his dagger and stabbing the bejesus out of him. I use a Power Point for this, which act as plot points. I can use them for various things though they’re also used to add 1 star to the roll. Which is what I did. I’ll say that he ends up killing the rogues.

[Q: Does Victor take this time to run away? Purpose: To Conflict. A: 26 (Surge making it 22). No]

Instead, Victor steps down and gets ready to fight, starting with pummeling White. As he does (dealing one point of damage) and White replies with striking him with his sword just as he’s getting up, though he only deals two damage out of six possible damages. Victor replies with a strike to the chest, but misses.

Red, meanwhile, runs, jumps off White’s back, and stabs Black in the face. While it also deals two damage (out of a possible five), Black responds by grabbing him and slamming him into White. White tries to stab Victor in the chest, but he misses. Red, however, manages to impale Black in the shoulder, only for him to be knocked out by a punch to the gut.

White takes this opportunity to drive the final stab into Black, killing him. With an unconscious Red in his hands now, he runs off to find shelter, which is where we’ll end out scene.

END OF SCENE TALLY!

CHAOS HAS BEEN RAISED! (current: 5)

SURGE HAS BEEN RAISED! (current: 3)

NPCs:
    Town Drunk
    Bartender
    Thugs *New!*
    Soldiers

Threads:
    Soldier Infiltration
    To Steal A Vase

Current XP Count:
[*] Red: 4 XP
[*] White: 5 XP

Scene two's done. Will our heroes heal up?
USSVoyager

Postby USSVoyager » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:10 am

Alright, now we're on the next session, trying to get Red some shelter.

[Scene Roll: 7, no Scene]

White busts into a store, dragging in an unconscious Red into the store. The store owner is scared.

[Q: Does he try to attack the two? Purpose: To Conflict. A: 93, Surge making it 99]

Yes, and unexpectedly...

[Roll: 18]

I rolled a Reroll/reserved. I'm gonna say that he has hired out some thugs to guard the place, so we have a battle. Only two, though. The two thugs fire at White. One deals a hit, which knocks him down. As it turns out, Fabletop keeps track of your health for long periods of time. In short, I ended up having a total party kill. But nah, I'll have it so that they're unconscious. The shopkeeper keeps them in the shop and calls for guards to go over and jail the two.

Ending out scene.

END OF SCENE TALLY!

CHAOS HAS BEEN RAISED! (6!)

Surge has lowered (0)

NPCs:
    Town Drunk
    Bartender
    Shop Keeper *New!*
    Thugs
    Soldiers

Threads:
    Soldier Infiltration
    To Steal A Vase
USSVoyager

Postby USSVoyager » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:29 am

When we last left off our heroes, they got themselves in a pickle and landed themselves in jail, though fully rested.

[Scene Roll: 2]

Scene interrupt!

[Event Focus: 22, NPC Action. NPC: Shop Keeper. Event Meaning: Kill War]

... What? Ooooooooooh...

So as the two are in jail, the guards looking over them suddenly get poisoned and fall unconscious. The Shop Keeper comes into the jail wearing blue robes. Sure enough, it's actually another member of the party, Blue. As it turned out, Blue was more scared of the fact that the two were near death. As for why he sent them to jail, it turns out that the vase is inside the castle where the jail is at.

This quest to steal back a vase has just gotten more complicated. Red tries to break out of the jail, which he easily succeeds with two stars. Meanwhile, Blue uses a magic missile to blow off the lock for White... Though he misses. White just smashes down the door and the three are on their way.

[Q: Does anyone hear the smashing? Purpose: To Conflict. A: 1]

No, and unexpectedly...

[Roll: 10]

Pattern Change. Well, I think that the revelation that they're stealing from royalty is changing the pattern enough. So the three bust out, ending our scene.

END OF SCENE TALLY!

Chaos has lowered (5)

Surge has remained (0)

Town Drunk
    Bartender
    Thugs
    Soldiers

Threads:
    Soldier Infiltration
    To Steal A Vase From the Kingdom
USSVoyager

Postby USSVoyager » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:38 pm

Alright, so when we last left off our heroes, they busted out of jail and now they're going to steal a vase from the castle.

[Scene Roll: 4]

Scene interrupt!

[Event Meaning: Remote event, Propose Status Quo]

So as our heroes are wondering a bit, they stumble into a courtyard where they overhear two of the handmaidens for the princess discuss about preserving status quo. It turns out that the king is sick and that the vase is actually a magic item that can cure his illness. The princess isn't ready to become queen, and so if the king dies, there'll obviously be a power vacuum. As such, our heroes have a bit of a situation on their hands. They were hired to steal a vase, but this vase is going to save the king.

[Q: Is this king benevolent? Purpose: To Conflict, I'll say it gets a +15. Roll... 72]

Yes. He is. So yeah, they now need some ideas on what the hell is going on and are doubting their mission. The solution is simple. We just don't do the mission. I mean, what could the dude who hired us do?

Wait, he did say that he stole from his neighbor... I have my group roll Wisdom, plus having Blue roll Wisdom plus his Mystic skill (it has sixth sense, so I could say he is seeing the future) and they conclude that the guy didn't literally mean neighbor like he lives right next door, but rather his neighboring kingdom. And I guess that's when an army starts to march in, ready to raid.

I have my guys roll agility, and only Red is able to rush out of there. The other two, having rolled skulls, stay behind, ready to fend off the army and die for their kingdom.

Crap.

Just...

Crap.

END OF SCENE TALLY!

Chaos has Raised: 6

Surge has increased! (1)

NPCs:

Town Drunk (Secret Side?)
Bartender
King
Princess
Handmaidens
Thugs
Soldiers
Enemy Soldiers

Threads:
Soldier Infiltration
To Steal A Vase From the Kingdom (Maybe?)
Save the King
USSVoyager

Postby USSVoyager » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:04 pm

Alright, so now we have a kingdom invasion. Well, this is fun...

[Scene Roll: 4]

Another interrupt.

[Event Meaning: NPC Action, Soldiers, Disrupt Fears]

So as Red runs into the room, the king's soldiers rush in to defuse the situation with the invasion.

[Q: Is the King very sick? Purpose: To Endings. +15 on this one. A: 60, surge making it 62. Surge Counter: 2]

He coughs and blood spills out. He asks what is going on. Red summarizes up the events.

[Q: Does the King know who is invading him? Purpose: To Endings. Odds increase to +30. A: 42, Surge making it 38. Surge Counter: 3]

No. He has no idea who is invading him. The king has made many enemies in his life, all who wish to kill him for the throne. He laughs at how fragile he has become. Meanwhile, they can hear people shouting, demanding both the king's head and the Vase of Aquarius.

[Q: Are the two party members holding them off? Purpose: To Endings. I'll have them roll to increase the odds. +15 A: 43, surge making it 37. Surge increases: 4]

No. They barely are able to hold them off. White is pushed through the doors, having been mortally wounded (he rolled another skull) and Blue rushes in, saying they have no time and that they need to get out of here. Without explaining what he means, he casts a spell, rolling two stars in the process. He succeeds in creating a swirling portal where he drags both Red and White. Red, on the other hand, drags in the King.

And that is how we end our session. Every character gets six experience (I interpret each scene to be a half hour), which means Red and White are at 11 XP, while Blue is at 6 XP. Where have our heroes gone? Find out next time!

End of Session.

Chaos Factor Increased: 7

As has Surge: 4

Threads
Soldier Infiltration
Kingdom Invasion
The Vase of Aquarius
Save the King

NPCs:
Bartender
King
Princess
Handmaidens
Thugs
Soldiers
Enemy Soldiers
USSVoyager

Postby USSVoyager » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:44 pm

Alright, now we're into session 2 of the Fabletop Campaign. In the previous session, what became a quest of stealing a vase turned into a kingdom wide invasion where the King and my players escaped with their lives. Two of my characters are near death. Let's hope my characters make it.

[Scene Roll: 1]

Scene is altered. Well, obviously, Blue managed to teleport us somewhere else! So we're transported to a place that's made completely of steel. We'll look for our surroundings.

[Q: Do we find anyone here? Purpose: To Knowledge. A: 83, Surge making it 91]

Yes, Red finds someone, but they find him first. They seem to be knights wearing metallic white armor and they demand us to halt. Hmm... I'm gonna surrender myself to them and see how they can handle me.

Unfortunately, someone has other plans, as someone sneaks up from behind one of the knights and gives him a huge whack on the head, knocking him out. Red decides to simply rush ahead and kill the other trooper.

[Q: Does the last trooper retreat? Purpose: To Conflict. A: 81. Yes, Surge goes to 1]

And the last one simply retreats. Red goes over to talk with the mysterious, yet similar looking person who saved him from being arrested. The man who knocked out the guard introduced himself as Crimson, pilot of the Maltese Falcon. He stopped by a local black market to sell some crystals, but noticed Red and his friends in trouble. Crimson allows Red and the others to come with him in the hopes that they can get medical attention. Of course, I oblige and come with him, ending out the scene.

Scene Tally Up.

Chaos Factor decreased to 6

Surge is at 1

Threads
Soldier Infiltration
Kingdom Invasion
The Vase of Aquarius
Save the King
Where Are We?

NPCs:
Bartender
King
Princess
Crimson
Handmaidens
Thugs
Soldiers
Enemy Soldiers
Metal Guards
USSVoyager

Postby USSVoyager » Fri May 12, 2017 10:00 pm

Next scene. We arrive onto the Maltese Falcon, carrying a wounded king and his friend over to get some medical attention.

[Scene Roll: 5]

The scene is altered. As Crimson and the others approach the ship, it turns out his crew mates have been missing. Crimson has no idea what happened to them. White concludes that, based off some evidence left behind by the group that they were led astray by some kind of force. However, he didn't get a high enough score of stars, so they're left to wonder what happened.

Crimson's a little frustrated since they needed to have them to operate the ship and get the group to a space station. Crimson asks the group to help pilot the ship. The group manage to get the ship off the ground, but it takes a long while, as Crimson has to teach the group how to operate the ship.

[Q: Do any of the lessons stick? Purpose: To Knowledge. A: 33, Surge making it 31]

Nope... And...

Event Focus: 29 = Introduce a new NPC
Event Meaning: 20 + 94 = Truce Elements

We suddenly get a message from a person that we cannot see. He claims to be the guy who led the crew members away.

NPC Mood: 83 = Sociable
NPC Bearing: 7 + 1 = rumor
NPC Focus: 98 = enemy

He says that he's needing their help to take out a villain that Crimson knows about: Brown, leader of the Wolffens, a race of furry monsters. He says that Brown is located right in the same freight station that he's in. Of course, this is just a rumor. However, Crimson bites the bait despite needing to help out the group in their healing. Ship lands and they go out to go find themselves a Wolffen leader.

Scene Tally Up.

Chaos Factor decreased to 6

Surge is at 1

Threads
Soldier Infiltration
Kingdom Invasion
The Vase of Aquarius
Save the King
Where Are We?
Hunt Down Brown

NPCs: