Welcome
Welcome to solorpgs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Solo Gaming Appreciation Month 2016: Trollbabe actual play

Tell us about your adventures!

Scene 12

Postby AlexYari » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:38 am

I had unnecessarily rolled to open the drain's barrier when the goal to get into the Keep was already won. Had I failed, it would just have meant a change in color (though I'm not sure I would have realized that given my state of mind then.) I'm actually afraid I broke the rules by not describing how the goal was achieved. I tried to rectify that in this scene by describing how they get inside the Keep.

Again, I'm using underscores (_) to mark PC pov stuff, and tilde (~) for the GM responses. I brought back the use of predictive text. It works really well with the new rules I'm testing in addition to #writingwithdice. I'm only writing out the interpretations to the predictive text sentences now, as I just moved along without writing them down when I was playing. They're almost self-explanatory anyway.

###########

_Greta walked at the front of the group, with Gunnar and Fergus trailing her in that order._

~ [the tunnel was scarcely daylight.] [The boy had a light that he used for his escapes into darkness.] The drain tunnel scarcely had any daylight come through from the entrance. Gunnar brought out a candle that he carried around when he wanted to explore the drain tunnel. ~

_Greta decided that they would go as far as the drain's entrance from the keep, and wait for darkness to come before they leave its cover. _

~ [Night comes slowly descending gradually. Not one person can be heard.] As they wait, night slowly descends on the city. Not one person can be heard above. ~

_ Greta, like before, rips the barrier off before they climb out._

~ [The garden was absolutely miserable. Nothing much was growing in it. ] The herb garden above was miserably barren. Just a few weeds growing in patches here and there. ~

_Greta thought back to the signs of a bad harvest she witnessed when she first arrived.

"Not a lucky year for Kragg Keep, eh? Gunnar, has the garden been like this for a very long time?" * (see notes at the bottom) _

~ [Odds: 13/65/94
Result: 69 -- No]

Gunnar shakes his head. ~

_"Just this year, like the harvest?"_

~ [Odds: 18/90/99
Result: 59 – Yes]

Gunnar nods. ~

_ (This is all in-character thinking)

Though there's no direct evidence of it, Greta cannot let go of the possibility that the bad harvest and Lord Ingald are connected in some way. She thinks that the sorcery she witnessed is a sign of that, as well as his wanton appetites. Had his wanton nature invited possession by something otherworldly? Or had he himself been feeding off the land unwittingly? [See Principles about how problems in Trollbabe arise]

Or was she just looking to appease her own conscience after she had brought her own brand of destruction on this city, through her own obstinacy? Should she just stop the madness now and sneak out of the city? But what if her new suspicions were true? ** (see notes at the end)

She decided she would see this to the end. Even if she was wrong... though now she was doubting herself more than she ever had in her life.

"Fergus, you take care of Gunnar. Go back into the drain system and try to stay away from any soldiers. If I can, I will try to find you there. If I don't come back, do your best to leave the city safely. "_

~ [He protested, but finally agreed. He cannot leave him alone. ] Fergus protested, as had to be expected, but eventually he saw that she was right. They could not take Gunnar into the Keep to face uncertain danger, and they could not leave him on his own. ~

_ With that settled, Greta left the herb garden and snuck into the kitchen with the goal of getting to Ingald. _

#########

* OOC, I would like to connect the failed harvest to Lord Ingald for story purposes. Otherwise, it feels kinda like a setup with no pay off. IC, Greta would love to have a new rationalization to justify her course of action, both to herself and everyone who's been affected by the events so far.

Since she can take no action to make that connection a reality, it will never materialize as a "ripple". her only options are to assume those suspicions are true, without ever having objective confirmation.

My only other option is an oracle answer, which is what feels right here, since I want a more objective perspective.

** shoot, unexpectedly, I have created an opportunity for a character arc in my own insistence on keeping a story going despite having had the opportunity to just leave when told to, twice.

In my mind, she was justified, though an awareness that she might not be totally on the moral high ground started to creep in when she first used force against Joss (an awareness that was helped by zircher's comments). This has been sealed, in retrospect, by my decision to go harsh on how she dealt with the guards that surrounded her. That destruction could have been avoided if she had just left town when she had the chance.

Greta's stubborn nature is mine too, except she can probably grow as a character. :)

This is bar none one of the most interesting moments I've had solo roleplaying. Exactly the kind of immersive experience I want, though the character arc potential is a cherry on top. I'm actually not sure if I'll be able to pull this trick on myself again. I can see it being too easy to do it consciously.
AlexYari

Scene 13

Postby AlexYari » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:51 pm

So, I'm still using the "ripples" idea to limit GM output between player actions, but I'm back to using predictive text for suggesting GM output. It's still taking me places I would not have gone had I not used it. Good for keeping me surprised, but maybe not so good for story (see session afterthoughts).

I've left the predictive text as it came out, because it's self explanatory (I think...let me know otherwise). It's not pretty, but it's suggestive.

_In character driven portions are marked off with underscores [with my own commentary in brackets]._

~GM portions are marked with tildes, [with predictive text in brackets too]. Anytime you see a name like Noel or Sophia, those are names from other fiction the CreativeWriter app has analyzed. I always interpret them as stand in names for Joss and Greta respectively. ~

############

_ Greta doesn't want there to be people in the Keep, except Lord Ingald, but there's no way of making that happen that can think of without drawing them out somehow. Maybe take some time to use magic. Disguise herself as Lord Ingald and dismiss everyone she sees. [ except she isn't at the right scale anyway]...maybe just magically disguise herself as Ingald and make her way to Lord Ingald. [goal: disguise herself as Ingald. Magic. a 1, Fail] She could not get her mind quiet enough to pull the spell off.

Her only option is to sneak without being discovered [ social. an 8, success. GM gets to narrate]._

~ [ improbably, it was easy task.​ She daringly looked inside every corner and listened at all doors until an enormous, and white painted flower garden door.​ It was ajar and Noel (Joss) was in the company of ] Lord Ingald.~

_ [Joss being there is a bit story-boarded because that particular occurrence has been percolating in my head. I still think it's fair, because if I think of a possibility, so does the character. Greta does not want this particular one to happen, but there was no way she could prevent it.

She could have looked for Joss first and tried to ensure he would not be here, but that did not occur to her until now.]

It figures this would happen , she thinks. She knows, somehow, that Joss will risk his life to protect Lord Ingald out of duty. That's just who he is, she thinks to herself.

She abruptly enters the room, closing the door behind her.

Pointing at Lord Ingald, she says: "You will tell everyone the truth. What happened at my room a fortnight ago, and what you have to do with the failed harvest." [goal: get Ingald to agree to tell the truth about those things she just mentioned. social conflict, a 1. Fail.]

[i get to narrate failures] He laughs mockingly.

[Reroll. Relationship with Joss.] Joss tells Ingald, "The truth, sir, will end all of this madness." [social. A 4, fail, and she's injured.]

Greta made a move towards Lord Ingald and Joss instinctively moved in between her and Ingald. They started struggling, and Greta lost her balance, banging herself against a bed post.

[reroll, a found item. A 9. Success.] Greta, in frustration, grabbed the first object she could find. she grabs an object that she threatens to throw at Ingald. [GM narrates successfull rolls]_

~[It was an ugly gray thing.​ she almost threw it at him and he exclaimed: "no!​ My dear aunt's ashes!​"]~

_Greta looked at the urn with some confusion but just for a split second.​ "Ingald, you had better not be messing with me." She made another aggressive gesture with the urn._

~ [he began blubbering ]~

_"Ok, settle down! I won't harm your dear aunt so long as you tell the truth. Now, did you have anything to do with the failed crops?"
[direct question to the oracle, since I can't make up the answer with PC action (and predictive text isn't a good fit for yes/no questions)]
_
~[Odds: 13/65/94
Result: 60 -- Yes]

[He confessed all. "i've brought about everything.​ " I began playing with black arts and became entangled with a dark energy.​ it always wanted more and so did I.​ I made a bargain with it.​ ]~

_Greta guessed that he meant that he'd agreed to let it feed off the land in exchange for power-- the kind he had shown her.

Though she had gotten Ingald to agree to tell the truth to everyone, now that she knew dark forces were involved, she knew she could count on them to try and prevent Ingald from revealing the secret he'd been keeping. _

~ [ but Noel (Joss) acted angry.​ After hearing him speak, his eyes glittered strangely.​ He drew his sword.​ ]~

_ Greta instantly assumed that the dark force had either possessed or seduced Joss. [goal: To get through to Joss and exorcise the evil entity from him. Social. A 1, fail. I get to narrate. I also take Ingald as a relationship. Enemy makes sense.

She's injured already, so I need to narrate another injury I suppose. ]

Joss gestures with his sword and Greta violently flies against a wall, hurled by an invisible force. She feels a sharp pain on her ribs after the impact. The urn with Ingald's Aunt's ashes is also broken.

[I'm using Ingald as a reroll] Ingald rushes to the broken urn, crying something about his dear aunt's ashes and drawing Joss's attention. Joss turns on him, and Ingald begins to chant something which Greta assumes is some sort of dismissal spell. Or perhaps a binding spell of some sort.

She rushes to physically hold Joss while again trying to reach his real self. [goal: To get through to the real Joss and exorcise the evil entity from him. social, 3 fail. I'm incapacitated and Ingald is Injured. I uncheck the Joss relationship so I can use it for a reroll again.]_

~[ she tried restraining him but Noel's (Joss's) arm absentmindedly snapped her arm and dropped (her) on her head.​ he then advances on]ingald [and almost broke him in half.​ ]~

_ [wow, that's what the app suggested, so imagine what you will. I imagined a backbreaker WWE style lift and slam on the knee thing. Ouch.

I'm going to reroll one more time for narration rights of that failure and to put the harm rules in effect again, this time against possessed Joss.

I use the Joss relationship again. Another fail (4). Predictive text app description above stands and it also gets to narrate Joss's injury]_

~ Greta witnesses what Joss does to Ingald. [ then Ingald blinked angrily, and Noel's (Joss) eyes blazed brighter than sunlight.​ In pain and anger, Noel (Joss) howled.​ she lost consciousness.​ ]~

_[ wow...had to go with that especially since I did not want it to happen like that. Greta has been nothing but trouble for poor Joss.]

Before losing consciousness, Greta assumed that Ingald had used sorcery to burn Joss's eyes out._

#########

After each session, I've been trying to see which beats of the Hero's Journey I have hit. That has also meant that sometimes I start some scenes with plans of hitting a beat, which is a bit of storyboarding, but I am sort of OK with it because I'm trying to precipitate those beats via PC actions. For example, I tried to use the reroll rules to cause an NPC death, and thus hit that Ordeal beat. (It did not work out that way, though, as the dice wanted something else.)

This does affect character immersion, but I'm also OK with that as long as our knowledge (PC's and player's) is always in sync. The thing that usually bothers me is knowing something in the adventure that the PC doesn't know which requires me to not act on that knowledge. The PC knowing more than me is not a problem.

One problem that I ran into, as a result of having to play this scene in chunks (spending time with my family being my #1 priority always), is that I found myself thinking a lot about what may happen next (PC or GM wise). I had to stop playing during a conflict, and since I had this Ordeal beat in my mind, I spent a lot of time thinking about what I could do via player actions to cause a death. This felt like hardcore storyboarding, so when I played again, I felt compelled to do the opposite of what I had thought about when I wasn't playing (i.e. not kill off any NPCs as I had "storyboarded").

This off game brainstorming is a self control thing that I doubt I can change. I may have to take a page from Beloved and try to think of a challenge that transforms that brainstorming into a game so that it doesn't feel Lillie I'm storyboarding future game events.
AlexYari

Scene 14a

Postby AlexYari » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:52 pm

I got a little stuck in the next few scenes due to bad rolls, self imposed rules, and the desire to make this adventure fit some sort of story structure (but driven by PC action rather than authoring stance). To that end, I tweaked the Trollbabe rules to make things less boring for me and avoid repeated scenes. It’s fairly simple, but I explain it during the session where I used it in order to avoid spoilers.

Rather than leave the predictive text raw, I’ve written what it suggested to me. That write up is post-game for the benefit of whatever audience may be reading this. The raw predictive text stuff is in a separate quote.

I have Scenes 14b, 14c, and 15 written up, and will be posting immediately after this one.

#############################

~ Greta regains consciousness in a dim roo, where she can hear muffled conversation as she gets her senses back. She sees that it’s Lord Ingald and some unknown soldier, who was supporting Lord Ingald as he walked and stood with difficulty. He nodded after Lord Ingald had pointed at her. ~

_"Where is Joss?" She meant both him and the thing inside him._

~ “It jumped through a window pane in the room, after I hurt it. It disappeared,” Lord Ingald answered. ~

_ "We have to find Joss." She said, standing up with great pain from her broken arm._

~ It was then that she noticed that she had been bound by some magic to the spot she was lying on. “I require your cooperation to get the thing under control again. Do stay around, please,” he said with sarcasm. ]~

_ Greta wasn't surprised to learn that Ingald had a change of heart regarding the thing that had given him his power.

She was somewhat confused as to why it would have attacked Ingald-- he had never outright rejected it. Had his confession broken some sort of pact? It didn’t make sense to her…but then again, did she really care about its reasons? Not really, she decided.

"Can you help me find it?"_

Result: 8 -- EXCEPTIONAL YES]

Lord Ingald smiled his slimey smile. “I can sense its power. I know where it came from. It went to lick its wounds at the cemetery. Where I found it first.” He reminisced about the strange outcropping that had appeared at an old mausoleum after he had begun his journey into the black arts.] ~

_"Release me and we'll get on with the task," Greta said, cutting him off._

~ Without a host, it is vulnerable, and can be controlled. I just need to get rid of the soldier,” he said. “All I need from you is to help me be stronger. Your life force. Just a little bit. ” ~

_[I will try to escape first. Seems like only magic would work. Goal: Break the magical bonds. Fail.] She attempts to break the bonds, but Ingald counteracts with an intensification of the bonds that causes her great pain. _

~ “If you won’t surrender it, I will just take it!” ~

_ [Hell no, if I can help it.] "Never!" [Magic conflict. Take HIS life force to heal myself instead. 1, fail. Incapacitated again. (Oops, she should have been incapacitated already. Mistake on my part, but we’ll go on)] _

~Ingald overtakes her and she passes out. (Oops again. Should have used predictive text to narrate this— details may have come out differently.~

_[re roll to gain narration rights. Use Ingald's relationship as I want to hurt him at least. 6. Fail. Ingald is injured again, but she won’t see it because she’s out.]_

~ Ingald loses some control over his sorcery. His hair burst into white light burning his scalp.~

#######

This was quite short given how the roll turned out. The game's restriction on trying for the same goal more than once in a scene sort of forced me to go to a new scene in order to try again. Maybe it's a failing of my imagination to fail to come up with another goal that I liked (I had ideas, but none of them desirable to me), but it seemed that the only thing I could do was try to escape (I could not see a valid way of using Fight to get out of the situation, given how the magic is binding Greta).

I would go with a healing scene next, but I think that Greta needs to escape her situation via character action first [this is my self imposed rule]. The only problem is that the adventure might get stuck in this situation until I'm able to get out, which Will get boring.

A minor note: Though I didn't describe it, she's obviously in some sort of dungeon cell, or so Greta and I think.

What follows is the same scene, but with the raw predictive text. I think it’s suggestive enough on its own, but writing up the interpretations above is a bit of post-game fun too.

Scene 14a - raw
~[She regains consciousness a dimmed conference betwixt them. Lord ingald and another crewman nodded and pointed at her. he was having a companion help him walk. ]~

_"Where is Joss?" She meant both him and the thing inside him._

~
[lord Ingald said it left through cracked glass window. ]~

_ "We have to find Joss." She said, standing up with great pain from her broken arm._

~[ she was being deliberately restricted by magic. He would not allow her to leave without her cooperation to get the thing back under his command. ]~

_ Greta wasn't surprised to learn that Ingald had a change of heart regarding the entity and its power. Though he had never outright rejected it. Then why did it attack, Ingald? Had his confession broken some sort of pact?

She didn't really care. "Can you help me find it?"_

Result: 8 -- EXCEPTIONAL YES][Lord Ingald smile. He found it with black magic. Noel had gone into hibernation at a local cemetery. There was a strange addition to a mausoleum that he'd found there when he began fiddling with black magic. ] ~

_"Release me and we'll get on with the task."_

~[Not until she handed over some of her life force to make him stronger. Then, after he had killed Noel and got it totally vulnerable, he would set her free. ]

_[I will try to escape first. Seems like only magic would work. Goal: Break the magical bonds. Fail.] She attempts to break the bonds, but Ingald counteracts with an intensification of the bonds that causes her great pain. _

~[If she won't surrender it, ingald will take it without her cooperation. ]~

_ [Hell no, if I can help it.] "Never!" [Magic conflict. Take HIS life force to heal myself instead . 1, fail. Incapacitated again.] Ingald overtakes her.

[re roll to gain narration rights. Use Ingald's relationship . 6. Fail. Ingald is injured again.] _

~ [narration of Ingald’s injury: Greta passes out after she sees Ingald suffer a loss of control over his black magic. He had his hair instantly bursting in white light. it burned his skin. ]~

AlexYari

Scene 14b

Postby AlexYari » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:56 pm

Again separated the raw session from the “prettified” post-game write up (i.e. my interpretations of the predictive text).

###########

~ She wakes up in the dungeon. Still magically bound. ~

_ Her only hope, she feels, is to escape and find Joss before Ingald gets to him [the threat that requires PC action]. [goal: escape. Magic. 2, fail. Incapacitated.]_

~The effort drains her and she passes out again. [forgot to use predictive text here again. I think I was bored with failing in the same manner.]~

_[Reroll for narrative rights. Use the Joss relationship to spice things up. She won’t be aware of any of this, but this is how the player narration works in the last re-roll. ] Joss invades the Keep looking for her, probably to somehow use her against Lord Ingald. When he/it finds her unconscious, he tries to break her magic bonds and imprison her somewhere else [I just want to change scenery at least]. [magic. 5 fail. Joss incurs another injury] _

~ The entity’s plan fails when it falls into Ingald’s ambush. It/Joss finds it cannot breathe, and begins to cough violently. It/Joss desperately holds his own throat and slumps to the floor unmoving. Greta regains consciousness to find Joss’s body lying very still on the floor.

Greta gains consciousness in the same room. She can see blood oozing from his mouth. [I probably let the predictive text break an RPG rule here about relationship NPCs, but I’m ok with it as a player. Anything to make this scene more interesting or impactful.]

Ingald was standing behind the body. He turned to Greta and smiled with satisfaction. Talking to her, he said: “My body still pulses with your life force, like a hot sun. I am not so sure I’m about to let go of you just yet, my lovely.” ~

_ Greta can only glare at him. at the moment, she is too weak to take him on. Better to bide her time... [And this is my way to request that the next scene be a recovery one, because starting out injured just doesn't favor me probability wise.]_

########

Again, pretty short scene due to the way the dice rolled.

Also, if these last three scenes don't count as an Ordeal, I don't know what does! Funny thing is that Greta's Ordeal might not be over yet. As long as she is magically bound, I feel reluctant to use a fighting conflict...I can't justify it.

As an aside, I have not invoked Gunnar or Fergus for rerolls, because I do not feel like Greta would put them at risk in this situation.

[b]Scene 14b[\b]
~[She wakes up in the basement (dungeon).] Still magically bound.~

_Her only hope, she feels, is to escape and find Joss before Ingald gets to him. [goal: escape. Magic. 2, fail. Incapacitated.] The effort drains her and she passes out again.

[reroll for narrative rights. Joss relationship. ] Possessed Joss Invades the Keep looking for her probably to use her somehow against Ingald. When he finds her incapacitated, he tries to break her magic bonds and take her somewhere else (goal). [magic. 5 fail. He incurs another injury]_

~[ his plan fails hopelessly, when suddenly something appeared to hold his breath. Noel began coughing violently. He couldn't breathe and grabbed his throat desperately. Then he slumped unmoving. ]

[Greta gains consciousness in the same room. Noel's body lying still on the floor, blood oozing from his mouth.

Ingald behind him. He turned to her and smiled. My body still pulsed with Sophia's (Greta's) life force like a hot sun. He was not so sure about letting go of her.]~

_ Greta can only glare at him. at the moment, she is too weak to take him on. Better to bide her time. [And this is my way to request that the next scene be a recovery one, because starting out injured just doesn't favor me probability wise.]_

Last edited by AlexYari on Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexYari

Scene 14c

Postby AlexYari » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:03 pm

Murphy's Law tells me that Greta will remain injured as long as Ingald keeps draining her of her vitality. My rule is that it takes character action to avoid undesired events from happening (so ending the situation requires action from Greta).

However, I don’t want to play all of these failed attempts out into their own scenes (see my solution, post-scene)*.

########

~Each day blurs into another. Each much like the other except when Ingald again comes to drain her of her life force against her will.~

_ Each day Greta fights him or her bonds with all he might, not losing hope of overcoming either. She had promised to herself that she would escape or kill Ingald before she died, if that was her fate.

[ * see what happened mechanically in the raw session text below]
_

~For 12 months she grieved Joss’s death. She continued to degenerate as Ingald again and again reached into her body and mind with his dark power, leaving her utterly drained and powerless. Finally, on one dark night, she reached into her mind…what remained of it-and yes! Something shocked her into giving it all she had left. Finally, when it happened, she knew that her entire being was set free!

She found herself in the water drain from before. How did she make it out of the Keep? She couldn't remember. She then passed out from exhaustion.

When she woke again, Gunnar, the little boy, was watching her carefully ~

_ "Gunnar...I need help. Find Fergus...I'm weak."_

~When she looked on a puddle’s reflection, she found she had aged almost three decades. (Wow)~

#######

*I will run all of these checks one after the other for the same goal and in the same scene (breaking a Trollbabe rule in favor of moving things along). I will roll until a success happens (since the Trollbabe rules say that I have the final say of when the Trollbabe dies this makes sense). In exchange for this rule breaking, I deem that every failed check counts as a month of in game time that Greta remains imprisoned.

Basically, I'm going to roll until I get a success, and add a month of in game time for each failure. A sort of montage of Greta's suffering at the hands of her captor will have to do, because the only other options are boring or feel like cheating to me (or would require OOC knowledge about what's happening outside her prison which she wouldn't know).

In a social game, I suppose that the GM would somehow move stakes along despite the Trollbabe being incapacitated. Or maybe throw the player a bone. In a solo game, that feels to me like worse cheating than this compromise, and it would break my self-imposed rule of requiring character action (which I deem more important to me at this point than not breaking the particular Trollbabe rule I broke). I quite like this way of making a montage over time, though.

Anyway, I've decided I need a recovery scene after this, since she has earned it. Given her condition, it should require some magical self-healing, and each failed roll should count as a month too.

[b]Scene 14c[\b]
~Each day that Greta is awake there is a chance that Ingald will harvest her life force. [ each day is much like the rest except when Ingald again taking her life against her will. ]~

_ Each day Greta fights him or her bonds with all he might, not losing hope of overcoming either. She had promised to herself that she would escape or kill Ingald before she died, if that was her fate.

[I will alternate goals between killing Ingald when he tries to drain her or simply escaping. Conflict is always magic.

Goal: escape(odd)/kill Ingald (even) 7,8,4,2,4,2,7,7,6,7,5,6,10

Success on the 13th try, so I escape without getting to kill Ingald.]_

~[For 12 months she grieved Joss and continued to degenerate as Ingald again and again reached into Sophia's body and mind, leaving her utterly drained and powerless. Finally, on one dark night, she reached into her mind, what remained of it-and yes, something shocking her into action, she gave it all she had left. She knew that her entire being was set free.

how she made it outside? She couldn't tell. She was in the water drain from before. she passed out from exhaustion and found Gunnar was watching her carefully when she came to. ]~

_ "Gunnar...I need help…Find Fergus...I'm weak."_

~[ she had aged almost three decades. (Wow)]~

AlexYari

Scene 15

Postby AlexYari » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:31 pm

Greta is on the road to recovery.

###############

_[it took 20 rolls (2,8,6,4,2,5,6, 3,5,4,5,3,2,4, 1,6,1,7,7,10) to get a magical success, so almost two years of recovery (good thing I didn't try a scene for each). Since each failure is incapacitation, the GM gets to narrate what happened.

I also want to find out what happened while she was captive and in recovery. ]_

~ Greta was finally rescued from the drain by Fergus and Gunnar. They took her to the nearby forest, and set her up in an abandoned bear cave. They tried to make her as comfortable as possible, and came to check up on her regularly to bring food, water, blankets or anything she needed.

It took her almost two years to heal her body and mind. It was a long process, but eventually she came back to her normal self. She still looked aged, though; a reminder of what she had been through.~

_ She certainly wasn’t exactly the same as before, mentally. She carried extra grief and guilt inside regarding Joss, and much more of a sense of hate towards Ingald, whereas before she was immaturely angry. Now she felt truly justified.

[Mechanically she is no longer harmed in any way.]

######

After all that, maybe someone will question why I didn’t just do things by fiat in GM mode or via an oracle. Again, I guess I’m very particular about sticking to my rule of requiring PC action to make desired outcomes happen (or prevent bad ones from happening), even if it means bending the base RPG rules.

scene 15

_[it took 20 rolls (2,8,6,4,2,5,6, 3,5,4,5,3,2,4, 1,6,1,7,7,10) to get a magical success, so almost two years of recovery (good thing I didn't try a scene for each). Since each failure is incapacitation, the GM gets to narrate what happened.

I also want to find out what happened while she was captive and in recovery. ]_

~[ Greta was rescued by her friends. They looked after her in a nearby forest bear cave. They showed up with water, food, blankets and made her as comfortable as possible.

For almost two years she tried to heal damaged being, but it was a long process.

eventually she came back to her normal self-- though she wasn't exactly the same. She still looked aged; a reminder of what she had been through. ]~

_ [Mechanically she is no longer harmed in any way.] she was still sad about Joss, and was carrying a burden
######

Why not just do things by fiat, like a GM would? I'm very particular about sticking to my rule of requiring PC action to make desired outcomes happen (even if it means bending the base RPG rules).

AlexYari

Scene 16

Postby AlexYari » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:05 pm

~Kragg Keep had deteriorated into something of a nightmare. Ingald took all he wanted. This is what Greta had come to know from Fergus and Gunnar.~

_ Greta hopes to use Ingald’s thirst for power against him by goading him into hunting for her. She wants to spread the rumor that she has been found and is still weak so she disguises herself as an old beggar man to try and spread the rumor among the most gossipy of farmers.

[Conflict social. Goal: Trick Ingald into coming to look for her at her hideout, by spreading the rumor that she’s been found, still weak and helpless. Roll: a 9. (Whew) Success. ]_

~Greta, disguised as an old beggar, spends a few days visiting gossipy farmers to ask for alms and bring news of strange people in the surrounding forest.

The farmers, who were probably scared of Greta herself, took the news and spread them like fire. The soldiers in the gates, who had been ordered to keep an ear out for any information, heard the rumor from the lips of the farmers who carried their scant produce into town.

This is what she heard from Fergus, whose brother in law was highly ranked in the guard.~

_ Greta asked for daily reports from Fergus. _

~Eventually Fergus heard that the rumor about her travelled to the highest level of the authorities.~

_Greta would prepare a trap for Ingald and his retinue, in order to ambush them before they could do anything to her. She would require a ram's head to disguise as herself lying down. [goal: be able to surprise and ambush Ingald and his soldiers. Conflict social. An 8! Success.]_

~ After (1d10) 8 days of rumor spreading, Ingald and (1d10) 5 soldiers showed up at her hideout. Not being aware of her presence, as she hid nearby, they did not notice the trap she set for them. Ingald and the others laughed when they found 'her' (the disguised ram’s head) lying helpless on the cave's floor.

"What a big coincidence after all this time," he said."You were supposed to be at my side like a good little girl."~

_ Greta snuck behind them and said, "There is nothing little about me, Ingald. I've always been too much woman for you." Greta throws a punch at his face as she finishes saying that.

[This will be an action by action fighting conflict. I'm killing this mofo & his lackeys for all Greta has gone through (goal). A 6. GM narrates all successes (and I need 3 out of 5)]_

~ Ingald flew three feet back through the air, crashing into an unfortunate soldier behind hijm, when Greta hit him with her fist. They both land against the cave wall.~

_ [Before they can get up, Greta wants to grab Ingald and throw him against the rest.]

"You would have been better off killing me," she says, lifting Lord Ingald by his collar.

[Still a fighting conflict. A 4. This is going to be cake. GM narrates. ]_

~ She throws Ingald into his personal guards as if he was nothing more than an oversized sack of flour. They all crashed to the ground together. ~

_ Greta straddles him before he has a chance to get up. Then, cradling his face in her hands, her own face very close to his, almost in an intimate fashion, she tells him: "Taking what didn't belong to you is the biggest mistake of your short life. Stealing is punishable by death in this town, isn't it?"

[Of course she's going to twist & break his neck. Fighting roll: 2. Hasta la vista, baby.]_

~ Ingald bitterly told her: “You still believe you are the good one…a better person than me. Ha!” He spat. “You are wrong. Joss’ blood is on your hands too because you valued your ego and reputation more than his life. You and I are not so different. What we want is more important than any destruction and pain our search may cause.~

_ "Go to hell, Ingald." _

~ She breaks his neck like a twig. It snaps audibly. The rest of the men, horrified, were visibly nervous and afraid. They turned and escaped into the dark green forest. ~

~[Kragg Keep had deteriorated into something of a nightmare. He took all he wanted.

this is what she'd come to know from my brothers. ]

_ [spread the rumor that she had been found, still weak. Tempt Ingald's thirst for power and cause him to come capture her. In this case, she
Disguises herself as an old beggar man to spread the rumor among the most gossipy of farmers.

Conflict social. Goal: Deceive Everyone into thinking she's been found at her Hideout, still weakened and helpless, thereby spreading a rumor that causes Ingald to come looking for her. Roll: a 9. (Whew) Success. ]_

[Greta spends a few days visiting gossipy farmers to ask for alms and bring news of strange people in the surrounding forest.

The farmers, who were probably scared of her, took the news and spread them like fire. The men in the watchtower were the ones who'd been ordered to keep an ear on any information. they heard about her from the lips of the farmers who carried their scant produce into town.]

This is what she heard from Fergus, who knew someone in the guard.~

_ Greta asked for daily reports from Fergus. _

[ Eventually he heard that story come to their highest level of the authorities. ]~

_Greta would prepare a trap for Ingald and his retinue, in order to ambush them before they could do anything. She would require a ram's head to disguise as herself lying down. [goal: be able to surprise and ambush them. Conflict social. An 8! Success.]_

~ After (1d10) 8 days of rumor spreading, Ingald and (1d10) 5 soldiers showed up at [her house. They were no more aware of her presence.

Ingald and the others laughed] when they found 'her' lying helpless on the cave's floor.

["What a big coincidence after all this time," ] he said.

["you were supposed to be at my side like a good little girl."]

_ Greta snuck behind them and said, "There is nothing little about me, Ingald. I've always been too much woman for you."

Greta throws a punch at his face as she finishes saying that.

[this will be an action by action fighting conflict. I'm killing this mofo & his lackeys for all he put Greta through (goal). A 6. GM narrates first success (need 3 out of 5)]_

~[she hits him with her fist and he flew three feet back into someone standing next ] to him. [They both landed against the ] cave [wall. ]~

_ Before they get up, Greta wants to grab Ingald and throw him against the rest.

"You would have been better off killing me,"she says, lifting him by his collar.

[a 4. This is going to be cake. GM narrates. ]_

~ She throws [the man into his personal guards like a giant sack of flour. They all fell together.] ~

_ she straddles him before he has a chance to get up. Then, cradling his face in her hands, her own face very close to his, very intimate, she tells him: "Taking what didn't belong to you is biggest mistake of your short life. Stealing is punishable by death in this town, isn't it?"
[Of course she's going to twist & break his neck. A 2. Hasta la vista, baby.]_

~ [[he reminded her that she was still clinging to her ] belief that she was better [than he . But she was wrong. Noel's blood was on her hands] too because of her own damn heart was worth more than anything. ] (ingald thinks theyrevthe same because Greta acted as if what she wanted was more important than the mayhem she caused.)~

_ "Go to hell, Ingald." _

~ She breaks his [neck like a twig. it snapped audibly. ] The rest of the men [were looking nervous and afraid. They turned and flew into the dark green ] forest.

AlexYari

Scene 17

Postby AlexYari » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:51 am

Scene 17

~After everything was over, Gunnar and Fergus arrived back at her former hideout. They had learned of Ingald’s fate, and had heard that the army was on their way here.~

_ "What about you and your families?"_

~ In the same way that she had toppled Ingald, they were going to fight what remained of his leaderless army. “You are free to go, Greta,” said Ingald. “It is not your fight anymore.” ~

_She was also wondering if the entity had been destroyed with Ingald. She wasn't even sure if it had lived inside him or was imprisoned like she had been.

"Maybe you are right this time, Fergus, but there is one more thing I must take care of."

[I sense for the presence of the entity. Conflict magic. A 5. Fail. Greta is Inconvenienced. No rerolls worth risking for this. The entity’s fate or whereabouts will just have to remain an open question for now. Player gets to narrate the failure, so no predictive text.]

I try to concentrate on sensing this entity, but it's either gone or hiding itself from me. Fergus and Gunnar didn't help things when they interrupted to tell me I was taking too long and really needed to leave.

[It really is time to start wrapping things up and saying our goodbyes to our friends.]

She picks up Gunnar for a big hug, and she also embraces Fergus with one arm.

"Thank you for being my friends. I will come back one day. When I do, I hope to find you here and that things are better." [with this, I'm mechanically releasing these relationships]._

~They were both reluctant to let go, but knew that they had to.
“We are sad to see you go, Greta, but we hope you will return some day as you promised,” said Fergus. ~

- With that, she finishes her goodbyes and turns around to start walking back into the forest, with no particular destination in mind, but wherever the road takes her._

~ Their sad eyes followed her as she walked into the distance and disappeared into the foliage. ~

Scene 17

gunnar and Fergus [were there after he'd learned of the news. She would have to fight every man was following her. (every soldier looking for her). ]~

_ "What about you and your families?"_

~[ in the same way she had undermined his confidence, they would attack against his last feeble remains ] (in the same way she defeated him, they would take care of his remaining forces, which were weakened.). [ you are free of this mission. It was not her concern ] anymore. ~

_She was also wondering if the entity had been destroyed with Ingald. She wasn't even sure if it had lived inside him or was imprisoned like she had been.

"Maybe you are right this time, Fergus, but there is one more thing I must take care of."

[I sense for the presence of the entity. Conflict magic.a 5. Fail. Inconvenienced.No rerolls worth risking for this. It'll just have to remain an open question for now. I get to narrate the failure.]

I try to concentrate on sensing this entity, but it's either gone or hiding itself from me. Fergus and Gunnar didn't help things when they interrupted to tell me I was taking too long and really needed to leave.

[It really is time to start wrapping things up and saying our goodbyes to our friends.]

She picks up Gunnar for a big hug, and she also embraces Fergus with one arm.

"Thank you for being my friends. I will come back one day. When I do, I hope to find you here and that things are better." [with this, I'm releasing these relationships]._

~[ They were both reluctant to let go, but knew that they had to. My heart aches, but my heart was still clinging to the hope that she returned. ] (they also are saddened that she has to leave, but they also hope that she'll return as she promised ) ~

- with that, she finishes her goodbyes and turns around to start walking back into the forest, with no particular destination in mind, but wherever the road takes her._

~ [they eyes looked at her sadly toward as she walked into the distance and disappeared into the forest.]
AlexYari

Scene 18 - Epilogue

Postby AlexYari » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:20 am

~[Later that night, after Greta had set up camp far away from Kragg Keep, two glittering eyes watched her from the dark, waiting.]~

This is what the iOS app CreativeWriter led me to write. It partly answers the fate of the entity, and suggests further adventures for Greta. As to the fate of the town, well, Greta isn't there to find out, so I myself won't know until and if she receives news.

We'll see.
AlexYari

Previous

Return to Actual Plays