Welcome
Welcome to solorpgs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Solo Gaming Appreciation Month 2016: Trollbabe actual play

Tell us about your adventures!

Solo Gaming Appreciation Month 2016: Trollbabe actual play

Postby AlexYari » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:09 am

I don't get to play a lot lately, unfortunately, but this is my way of doing my part for Solo Gaming Appreciation 2016 (#SGAM2016). Hopefully, more scenes to come in the remaining days of November, and if not, December.

I'm playing Trollbabe, which system I like for its simplicity. If you are not familiar with the game setting, you are basically playing half troll/half human women in an Icelandic/Nordic/Celtic/Baltic kind of setting. It's a pop culture mishmash that draws from Norse sagas, fantasy literature and underground comics (I'm paraphrasing Ron Edwards intro).

I don't know much about any of that, so forgive me any inconsistencies (like, for example, placing an Inn inside a castle's walls, when I probably was imagining a walled city). Forgive me any retcons too.

I've used the following Prompting Oracle that I whipped up a few days ago (also for #SGAM2016): http://solorpggamer.blogspot.com/p/avoi ... count.html I only used it for decision points, so the text is light on description. Images were in my head and I did not feel like writing descriptive text. It's probably more fun to fill in the gaps with your own images, anyway.

Character stats

Trollbabes are big women (at least 6'6" in height), "with a build to match. No little aerobicized butts allowed." (quoting R.E. and paraphrasing again). They are easily the match of the strongest human and their strength ranges up from that point. They are more athletic than the most athletic human as well.

Retta's Number is 8, which means 1-7 to use Fight(Unarmed), 8-10 to use Social (Fun) , and 9-10 to do Magic (Human Magic)

Hair Color & Style: Think big 80's hair metal band hair. Strawberry Blonde.
Horns Size/Shape: Curved like a ram's, thick, light in color. Norse runes are carved on them, like one would ink tatoos in one's body. They probably say something equivalent to "Badass Mofo"

That's it.

------------------------SCENE1---------------------------


Kragg Keep is a castle fortress near the sea populated by humans (of course). The lands surrounding it belong to a Lord Ingald. It is a typical castle with typical countryside surrounding it.

This is where Greta is heading.

This year, the harvest has not been good, as can be seen in the failed grain crops around the country side. There is worry in the peasant's faces. They look at her with some curiosity and fear as she hikes past them.

The lord's soldiers come to question what her business is here and to run her off. They draw their swords and ask, "What is your business in Kragg Keep, stranger?"

"No particular business. I'm just passing through."

The leader eyes her suspiciously, paying particular attention to her horns (trollbabes always have horns). "I'm afraid not. It were better for you to bypass this place."


I declare a conflict, per Trollbabe's rules
Goal: To convince the guards to let her in Kragg Keep.

(Retta's Number is 8, which means 1-7 (Unarmed) to use Fight, 8-10 to use Social (Fun) , and 9-10 to do Magic (Human magic))

I declare that the conflict is Social.

Roll(1d10)+0:
8,+0
Total:8

Won by a hair.


She looks up at her horns as if saying "Oh, that?". "I can promise you I'll be on my best behavior. " Then, mustering the saddest face she can: "I'm hungry and tired. You wouldn't let a defenseless girl head out back on the trail like that, would you?"

The leader looks towards his companions as if looking for input and all he gets are shrugs. Sighing, he tells Greta: "Very well. However, you must leave at sun up tomorrow." Then he frowns and scolds her, "It isn't wise for a woman should not be travelling alone around the woods."

This annoys Greta a bit, but she did go for the defenseless damsel act. She forces an apologetic smile and a curtsy.

The leader offers her to hop on one of the other guard's horse.

"Joss will give you a ride to the local inn. He will also make sure you leave when the sun is up."

With that, the remaining guards depart, leaving Joss and Greta behind.

"I guess it's just you and me, mr Joss" says Greta, accepting Joss' hand as he courteously helps her get on. He seems as guarded as his companions.

He replies politely but firmly: "The Lands End Inn is not far. I will escort you out of Kragg Keep at early sunup."

It was going to be a silent ride to the Inn.
AlexYari
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:40 am

Re: Solo Gaming Appreciation Month 2016: Trollbabe actual pl

Postby AlexYari » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:24 am

History Log from the javascript Oracle (Just for fun and feel free to skip reading):


What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:Kragg Keep is a castle fortress near the sea populated by humans (of course). The lands surrounding it belong to a Lord Ingald. It is a typical castle with typical countryside surrounding it.

This is where Greta is heading.

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:Foggy Bottom is a port town by the southernmost sea. Townies survive on fishing and some trading.

This is where Greta is heading.

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED (from stack):Foggy Bottom is a port town by the southernmost sea. Townies survive on fishing and some trading. The town has fallen on very hard times as both the fish and the trading are drying up.

This is where Greta is heading.

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?

Kragg Keep is a castle fortress near the sea populated by humans (of course). The lands surrounding it belong to a Lord Ingald. It is a typical castle with typical countryside surrounding it.

This is where Greta is heading.

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:This year, the harvest has not been good, as can be seen in the failed grain crops.

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:It being the Fall season, the peasants are busy harvesting the grain crops.

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED (from stack):It being the Spring season, the farmers are busy planting seed for the year's crops. There is a happy mood in the air, and Greta enjoys the first signs of spring.

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?

This year, the harvest has not been good, as can be seen in the failed grain crops.

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
There is worry in the peasant's faces. They look at her with some curiosity and fear as she hikes past them.

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
The lord's soldiers come to question what her business is here and to run her off.

What is the most plausible best case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:"State your business, half-troll," the leader spat.

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:"State your business, ma'am," the leader says respectfully yet sternly.

Greta hears muffled talk among the peasants about outlaws and strange people roaming the surrounding woods.

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?

They draw their swords and ask, "What is your business in Kragg Keep, stranger?"

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:"No particular business. I'm just passing through."

They did not like her response. "This is not a way through frequented by travelers," the leader said as if he was suspicious of what Greta said. "If you will not state your true business to us now, you will surely confess in the lord's dungeon."

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:"No particular business. I'm just passing through."

The leader eyes her suspiciously, paying particular attention to her horns. "I'm afraid not. It were better for you to bypass this place."

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED (from stack):"No particular business. I'm just passing through."

The leader grunts after sizing her up. "You best take a detour, stranger. The lord does not wish to receive unexpected visitors in Krag Keep."

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?

"No particular business. I'm just passing through."

The leader eyes her suspiciously, paying particular attention to her horns. "I'm afraid not. It were better for you to bypass this place."

What is the most plausible best case scenario, event or response that could follow?
Goal: To convince the guards to let her in Kragg Keep.

Roll(1d10)+0:
8,+0
Total:8

She looks up at her horns as if saying "Oh, that?". "I can promise you I'll be on my best behavior. " Then, mustering the saddest face she can: "I'm hungry and tired. You wouldn't let a defenseless girl head out back on the trail like that, would you?"

The leader looks towards his companions as if looking for input and all he gets are shrugs. Sighing, he tells Greta: "Very well. However, you must leave at sun up tomorrow." Then he frowns and scolds her, "It isn't wise for a woman should not be travelling alone around the woods."

This annoys Greta a bit, but she did go for the defenseless damsel act. She forces an apologetic smile and a curtsy.

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:The leader offers her to hop on one of the other guard's horse.

"Joss will give you a ride to the local inn. He will also make sure you leave when the sun is up."

With that, the remaining guards depart, leaving Joss and Greta behind.

"I guess it's just you and me, mr Joss" says Greta, accepting Joss' hand as he courteously helps her get on. He seems friendlier than his companions.


What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:The leader offers her to hop on one of the other guard's horse.

"Joss will give you a ride to the local inn. He will also make sure you leave when the sun is up."

With that, the remaining guards depart, leaving Joss and Greta behind.

"I guess it's just you and me, mr Joss" says Greta, accepting Joss' hand as he courteously helps her get on. He seems as guarded as his companions.

He replies politely but firmly: "The Lands End Inn is not far. I will escort you out of Kragg Keep at early sunup."

It was going to be a silent ride to the Inn.

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED (from stack):The leader barks an order to one of the other guards: "Joss, take her to the Land's End Inn and make sure she is gone first thing sun up."

"Yes sir."

With that, the remaining guards depart, leaving Joss and Greta behind.

"I guess it's just you and me, mr Joss" says Greta.

Joss glares at her. "The Lands End Inn is not far. My horse and I will walk behind you."


What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?

The leader offers her to hop on one of the other guard's horse.

"Joss will give you a ride to the local inn. He will also make sure you leave when the sun is up."

With that, the remaining guards depart, leaving Joss and Greta behind.

"I guess it's just you and me, mr Joss" says Greta, accepting Joss' hand as he courteously helps her get on. He seems as guarded as his companions.

He replies politely but firmly: "The Lands End Inn is not far. I will escort you out of Kragg Keep at early sunup."

It was going to be a silent ride to the Inn.
AlexYari
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:40 am

Scene 2

Postby AlexYari » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:19 pm

------------------------SCENE 2---------------------------


As they made their way through the country side and past the walls that had grown around what was the original keep, Greta noted that her prediction of a silent ride was right. She figured he knew that his leader did not want her here, and it would just be trouble to get friendly.

She wanted to get a sense of whether they were just suspicious of her on account of her unusual characteristics, or whether they were just on edge about any strangers. She knew that it would take a some extra effort to get Joss to loosen up so that she could get the scoop in a roundabout way.

(Seems like a good place for another Social conflict)
Goal: Get Joss to loosen up and open up about why she was almost run out of Kragg Keep.

"Nice little city..."

(Roll(1d10)+0: 1,+0 Total:1) (Yup, that's a fail. Continuing with the most logical way it could go, I imagine that...)

Greta heard Joss manage a polite and non-commital "Mmmmm."



They did indeed ride the rest of the way to the Lands End inn in uncomfortable silence. However, the silver lining was that the dwellers of the place now looked at her with much more curiosity than fear. Some of the children even giggled when she waved at them, and their parents did not seem to mind. She thought it might be on account of her riding with one of the soldiers, which might have signaled that she was an OK person.



They got to Lands End inn, and Joss reminded her again that he'd be picking her up here at sun up in order to escort her out of Kragg Keep as he'd be ordered.

Once inside the inn, Greta noticed that business wasn't as bad as she'd expect given the scene out in the countryside (the bad harvest and the worried peasants). Things perhaps weren't so bad that an ale or two couldn't be had.

The patrons also stared at her with some curiosity. She was used to it and did not find it rude.

Joss had gone ahead to talk to the innkeeper and, she supposed, tell her of the situation regarding Greta. She exchanged some friendly words with Joss and looked at Greta with some interest.

Joss came and said to her, "Hilde will take good care of you. Until tomorrow." Then he bowed chivalrously. She smiled and thanked him. Greta thought to herself that he looked handsome.

Hilde walked over to Greta, and amiably introduced herself. "Here is the key to your room." Then, sweeping her hand across the tavern room, she said: "It's still too early for bed, so please make yourself comfortable wherever you want." Then, with a wink, "On account of the trouble you went through, the first ale is on the house."

Greta thanked her and gladly went to get her free tankard of ale. Perhaps things were looking up.



: (from stack):
Looking around, she saw a table that looked friendly enough, and asked if she could sit. The men, who looked like they were perhaps farmers, seemed somewhat guarded. Still, they politely accepted her company. They seemed a little unsure of socializing with a big girl with horns on her head.


"Cheers," she said, trying to break the ice. They awkwardly raised their own tankards in response.




(Seems like another Social conflict. I'm liking those.

Goal: To loosen these guys up. Get them talking about why she was stopped by the guards at first.

She notices their tankards are almost empty, so she tells the serving wench to bring a round for all four of them (since she had just downed hers).


Roll(1d10)+0:
9,+0
Total:9)

They graciously accept the drinks. As the drinks keep flowing, the ale loosens them up gradually and Greta's got them talking about their wives and children.

Eventually, she broaches the subject. "Say, fellas, would you be able to guess why the authorities don't seem to want strangers like me around?" She tells them in detail what transpired.

The one called Fergus tells her that it was probably on account of her being big, strong, and wild looking. "Kragg Keep is a respectable sort of place, lass." He accentuates that last point with a loud burp.

Greta suppresses her urge to laugh, as he seems serious about that. "I see..."

"But, you seem like a proper girl. My brother in law is highly ranked in the guard. I will put in a word with him."

Greta wouldn't mind staying a bit longer in Kragg Keep. "We shall see in the morning if it works. Thank you."

They all drank late into the night, with them telling her a bit about the area, and her regaling them with tales of her travels and troubles.
Last edited by AlexYari on Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexYari
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:40 am

History Log for Scene 2

Postby AlexYari » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:21 pm

Most of the oracle rolls improbably went my way, so I lost the +1 bonus I had gotten for the second scene. I'm back to a bonus of 0.


What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
As they made their way through the country side and past the walls that had grown around what was the original keep, Greta noted that her prediction of a silent ride was right. She figured he knew that his leader did not want her here, and it would just be trouble to get friendly.

She wanted to get a sense of whether they were just suspicious of her on account of her unusual characteristics, or whether they were just on edge about any strangers. She knew that it would take a some extra effort to get Joss to loosen up so that she could get the scoop in a roundabout way.

(Seems like a good place for another Social conflict)
Goal: Get Joss to loosen up and open up about why she was almost run out of Kragg Keep.

"Nice little city..."

(Roll(1d10)+0: 1,+0 Total:1) (Yup, that's a fail. Continuing with the most logical way it could go, I imagine that...)

Greta heard Joss manage a polite and non-commital "Mmmmm."

What is the most plausible best case scenario, event or response that could follow?
They did indeed ride the rest of the way to the Lands End inn in uncomfortable silence. However, the silver lining was that the dwellers of the place now looked at her with much more curiosity than fear. Some of the children even giggled when she waved at them, and their parents did not seem to mind. She thought it might be on account of her riding with one of the soldiers, which might have signaled that she was an OK person.

What is the most plausible best case scenario, event or response that could follow?
They got to Lands End inn, and Joss reminded her again that he'd be picking her up here at sun up in order to escort her out of Kragg Keep as he'd be ordered.

Once inside the inn, Greta noticed that business wasn't as bad as she'd expect given the scene out in the countryside (the bad harvest and the worried peasants). Things perhaps weren't so bad that an ale or two couldn't be had.

The patrons also stared at her with some curiosity. She was used to it and did not find it rude.

Joss had gone ahead to talk to the innkeeper and, she supposed, tell her of the situation regarding Greta. She exchanged some friendly words with Joss and looked at Greta with some interest.

Joss came and said to her, "Hilde will take good care of you. Until tomorrow." Then he bowed chivalrously. She smiled and thanked him. Greta thought to herself that he looked handsome.

Hilde walked over to Greta, and amiably introduced herself. "Here is the key to your room." Then, sweeping her hand across the tavern room, she said: "It's still too early for bed, so please make yourself comfortable wherever you want." Then, with a wink, "On account of the trouble you went through, the first ale is on the house."

Greta thanked her and gladly went to get her free tankard of ale. Perhaps things were looking up.

What is the most plausible best case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:Looking around, she saw a table that looked friendly, and asked if she could sit. The men, who looked like they were perhaps farmers, seemed delighted to have a chance to not only look but talk to a big girl with horns on her head.

"Cheers," she said.

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:Looking around, she saw a table that looked friendly enough, and asked if she could sit. The men, who looked like they were perhaps farmers, seemed somewhat guarded. Still, they politely accepted her company. They seemed a little unsure of socializing with a big girl with horns on her head.


"Cheers," she said, trying to break the ice. They awkwardly raised their own tankards in response.


What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:Looking around, she saw a table that looked friendly enough, and asked if she could sit. The men, who looked like they were perhaps farmers, seemed taken aback by her presence. They seemed very unsure of how to socialize with a big girl with horns on her head and stammered various excuses along the lines of, "Oh! Look at the time! I'm supposed to be bathing my cat."

"Ahem! Yes, yes, it's cat bathing day, you are quite right, Fergus." And so on.

"Cheers," she said, disappointed after they all had cleared the table.


What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
(from stack):
Looking around, she saw a table that looked friendly enough, and asked if she could sit. The men, who looked like they were perhaps farmers, seemed somewhat guarded. Still, they politely accepted her company. They seemed a little unsure of socializing with a big girl with horns on her head.


"Cheers," she said, trying to break the ice. They awkwardly raised their own tankards in response.


What is the most plausible best case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:Greta figures a foot in the door is better than nothing, and she still fancies herself quite the charmer.

"Nice place, this,"

They all answer somewhat stiffly with agreement. They seem somewhat insecure and intimidated, as if they don't want to look bad in front of her now that she's sitting with them.

She notices their tankards are almost empty, so she tells the serving wench to bring a round for all four of them (since she had just downed hers).

The ale eventually seems to loosen them up and she's got them talking about their wives and children.

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:Greta figures a foot in the door is better than nothing, and she still fancies herself quite the charmer.

"Nice place, this,"

They all answer somewhat stiffly with agreement. They seem somewhat guarded like Joss had been.

What is the most plausible best case scenario, event or response that could follow?
(Seems like another Social conflict. I'm liking those.

Goal: To loosen these guys up. Get them talking about why she was stopped by the guards at first.

She notices their tankards are almost empty, so she tells the serving wench to bring a round for all four of them (since she had just downed hers).


Roll(1d10)+0:
9,+0
Total:9)

They graciously accept the drinks. As the drinks keep flowing, the ale loosens them up gradually and Greta's got them talking about their wives and children.

Eventually, she broaches the subject. "Say, fellas, would you be able to guess why the authorities don't seem to want strangers like me around?" She tells them in detail what transpired.

The one called Fergus tells her that it was probably on account of her being big, strong, and wild looking. "Kragg Keep is a respectable sort of place, lass." He accentuates that last point with a loud burp.

Greta supresses her urge to laugh, as he seems serious about that. "I see..."

"But, you seem like a proper girl. My brother in law is highly ranked in the guard. I will put in a word with him."

Greta wouldn't mind staying a bit longer in Kragg Keep. "We shall see in the morning if it works. Thank you."

They all drank late into the night, with them telling her a bit about the area, and her regaling her with tales of her travels and troubles.
AlexYari
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:40 am

Scene 3

Postby AlexYari » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:35 pm

I tried something different for scene 3 because I wanted to test some creative writing iOS apps which I thought could be used as a different kind of oracle.

The app I used is called CreativeWriter, and basically, it replaces your keyboard with whole words in each key that are context dependent on the last word you write.
It uses various databases, including one with classic fiction works (Shakespeare, etc). It's worth checking out.

As far as solo role play goes, I wrote the player narration parts with a normal qwerty keyboard, but the GM parts were written with the list of context sensitive words, basically fishing for words that conveyed what I thought would happen. Of course, the tricky part is that sometimes the limited set of words mutates or completely does away with what I originally had in mind. This lets me pretend that the response is not wholly mine, which in a way it isn't as the contents of he word set guide my imagination in unexpected.

When that didn't happen, at least I ended up with something of a somewhat higher quality than my own plain words. The hunting for the right words is like a game in itself.

For my next try, I will use this process to write the ideas that I submit to the prompting oracle.

As far as the #writingwithdice idea of Principles, I think that everything was within bounds. I'll post those principles tomorrow when I'm not on the phone.


----Scene 3----

She turned in for the night. As the night wore on, eyes were suddenly glittering in the shadows.

She leapt out of the bed ready to fight whatever intruder had managed to get in the room.

They looked at each other. She took the candle in order to dispel the shadows and uncover the trespasser.

The eyes suddenly flashed softly and quietly faded away before she could shine the light on them.

(this demands a magic conflict to find out what in the world that was. Of course, i has to roll a 6 which failed; i needed a 9+)

She spends an hour on the ritual of divination of mind, however, nothing was discernible beyond ascertaining that something had been there. She had been so keyed up to fight that her mind was not in the right meditative state to do such magic.

What would she do now? There wasn't much time left between now and the first rays of dawn. She could wait for Joss and forget about what happened, but where was the fun in that? Besides, it wasn't right to let what amounted to a sinister peeping Tom get away with invading HER room.

She put her ear against the door, listening attentively for any sound. When everything felt utterly dead, she sneaked out her room. She was sure she could make it back before dawn.
AlexYari
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:40 am

Principles

Postby AlexYari » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:47 pm

The following Principles were taken verbatim, or almost verbatim, from the text of Trollbabe. In #writingwithdice, Principles are meant to be combined with each other (even from different lists) to come up with ideas. They are also meant to act as boundaries, so any ideas that step outside of those bounds need to be mechanically interacted with in their seed form before you can flesh them out.
If, for example, I were to have a character mention a dungeon under Kragg Keep, I would need to use the RPG rules to somehow interact with the idea in this embryonic form before I could develop it further. In this case, something like using a Social conflict to convince the character to show me the dungeon would work. In fact, any use of any mechanic of the RPG would work, so a magic conflict where I try to scry the dungeon would be Ok too. If you fail a roll, it counts too, because the point is using the RPG system. It’s all very personal as far as how you decide what rule uses count and what uses don’t, but the more direct it interacts with the idea, the better. And, again, the point is to interact with the fiction via the rules.

The principles here are pretty vague/wide open for the most part, so it’s harder to see when you’ve crossed boundaries and it’s easy to get carried away. No big deal since it’s about having fun. If an idea isn’t directly mentioned or implied directly in the Principles, it might be worth it to take a second to consider if the idea fits. My example with the dungeon above could have gone either way, but I decided it didn’t really fit the Norse era I feel the Trollbabe text describes (could be wrong).
The Principle lists can be named and organized however you want. I just felt these worked for this adventure.
Principles (location)

The lands are mostly rolling low mountains with farms and pine forests filling the valleys.
The sea is almost always near.

Think of:
*fjords
*mists
*pine forests
*farms
*low, rolling mountains
*frozen rivers
*twisted trees

People cluster around:
*towns
*fortified steadings
*private steadings
*hamlets
*village (centered around trade or farmland)
*castle fortress
*port town
*province (culturally distinct area with different communities, possible complex alliances)
*land (implies different lands)
*inland
*shoreline
*at sea
*rugged
*pastoral
*isolated
*in the middle of things

Trolls live…
*in caves,
*under bridges,
*under big trees
*deep in scary forests,
*in haunted ruins
*anywhere lonely, inconvenient and grim
*isolated off in the boonies

Place names:
Otun's Belch
The Silent Forest
The Stumpy Mountains
Green Goo Swamp
Stinkfoot Slough
Rottenmere
Witten's Holm
Kragg Keep
Gravenford
The Blood Gate
Black Ferth
Foggy Bottom


Principles (characters, culture):

Societal characteristics:
*Celtic
*Baltic
*Nordic
*low tech
*sailors
*townspeople
*fishermen
*homesteaders
*farmers
*dangerous outlaws (solitary or band)
*servants
*laborers
Human cultural characteristics:
*accord mostly with well-known sexual mores
*use weapons & tools
*work scholarly magic in some individual cases

Some trollbabe names from the text:
Retta<br/>
Tha<br/>
Bniri<br/>
Kreshk<br/>

Human (male):
Ulf
Rolf
Ingald<br/>
Skarr<br/>
Gunnar<br/>
Halgrim<br/>
Thorgrim<br/>
Joss<br/>
Eki<br/>
Fergus<br/>
Rolind<br/>
Bran<br/>
Oskel<br/>
Oskar<br/>
Nargrim<br/>
Karl<br/>
Gram<br/>
Orm<br/>

Human (female):
Inge
Unn<br/>
Freawaru<br/>
Rhiann<br/>
Sifal<br/>
Morgan<br/>
Gwyneth<br/>
Linn<br/>
Greta<br/>
Hilde<br/>
Lissal<br/>
Gunnhilde<br/>
Trolls:
*trolls are shaggy and horned
*trolls walk on their toes
*trolls wear little or no clothes
*trolls are either alone or in small groups
*trolls work mighty nature magic in large groups
*trolls fight with tooth and claw
*trolls live in caves, under bridges, under big trees
*trolls live deep in scary forests, in haunted ruins
*trolls live anywhere lonely, inconvenient and grim
*isolated troll tribes off in the boonies
*habitual human eaters (monsters)
*assimilationists who have worked out a positive relationship with humans

Troll Names (male):
Hrenk<br/>
Ottwol<br/>
Cherchak<br/>
Spuh<br/>
Hurrgle<br/>
Rundle<br/>
Narg<br/>
Schrack<br/>
Gallg<br/>
Chahvuk<br/>
Gratch<br/>
Skock<br/>

Troll Names (female):
Ree-Shah <br/>
Thetorra<br/>
Ich'ya<br/>
Washu<br/>
Skah<br/>
Mooram-Ah<br/>
Gorte<br/>
Schoonda<br/>
Eeeron<br/>
Oonto<br/>
Nualk<br/>
Amah<br/>


Principles (conflicts)
problems & wickedness arise from:

*kin-strife
*politicking
*betrayal
*injustice ecoing through the generations

expressed as
*curses
*monsters
*undead
*omens
*evil is not an external force


Other conflicts

*trolls eat humans sometimes
*trolls are hunted as nuisances
*trolls resent being hunted like animals
*some trolls have assimilated with humans
*troll vs troll about humans
*troll vs human (with either having advantage)
*human vs human about trolls
*human outlaws
Trollbabe embraced or rejected by both depending on situation
AlexYari
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:40 am

Scene 4

Postby AlexYari » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:32 pm

*Scene 4*

Greta snuck out of the room and looked down both sides of the hallway.​ The second floor was empty.​ She cautiously went downstairs and opened the front door noiselessly. The street was deserted.​
what would she do now, though?​

Down the street before her There was something unusual, like a man in a long black cloak about three hundred pounds weight upon a stone.​ He was not particularly lively as he was a statue.​

: (from stack):
Greta didn't remember seeing that there before but she may have missed it.​ How could she have missed something so big, though. No way. Feeling annoyed at whomever was playing this game, she went up to the statue.

The statue was a little warm against her hand.​

: (from stack):
she wondered whether the eyes she saw belonged to this 'statue' (for she now suspected it wasn't a statue at all).

"Ok fool, whoever you are, you better explain what you're doing out here. I know you're not a statue," she said jabbing her finger against his or its chest. "

The fat man grinned.​ A moment of silence passed.​ The fat man's eyes glittered.​
: (from stack):
Greta gets ready to defend herself.​ He was Not Looking at her, but she could see him struggle to answer as if he truly was a statue awakening.​

He said he loved her.​ now THAT was scary to Greta.

"First of all, who are you?" she asked.​

"I'm the Big Man in this place." he said, and laughed.​

"Lord Ingald?"

He said with a grin: "The man himself."

Greta, in disbelief, shook her head and said, "So the Lord of Kragg Keep is a peeping Tom. Why does this weird sh__ happen to me all the time."

The dawn was fast approaching and she would be glad to be away from this place and this strange pervert.



******************HISTORY LOG******************

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:Greta snuck out of the room and looked down both sides of the hallway above the second story.​ The old place looked deserted.​

What is the most plausible best case scenario, event or response that could follow?
Greta snuck out of the room and looked down both sides of the hallway.​ The second floor was empty.​ She cautiously went downstairs and opened the front door noiselessly.The street was deserted.​

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
what would she do now, though?​

Down the street before her There was something unusual, like a man in a long black cloak about three hundred pounds weight upon a stone.​ He was not particularly lively as he was a statue.​

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:Greta didn't remember seeing that there before but she may have missed it.​ How could she have missed something so big, though. No way. Feeling annoyed at whomever was playing this game, she went up to the statue.

"he is not here," it said.

She wasn't entirely surprised that it talked, or startled by it.

"Who is 'he' and where is 'he'" she asked it testily.

The statue said, "I like you very much," he said approvingly. "The old fellow.​ I want him to him to go away"

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:Greta didn't remember seeing that there before but she may have missed it.​ How could she have missed something so big, though. No way. Feeling annoyed at whomever was playing this game, she went up to the statue.

The statue was a little warm against her hand.​

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:Greta didn't remember seeing that there before but she may have missed it.​ How could she have missed something so big, though. No way. Feeling annoyed at whomever was playing this game, she went up to the statue.

When she got close enough, his feet were bare and his eyes expressed a look of grave embarrassment.​

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
(from stack):
Greta didn't remember seeing that there before but she may have missed it.​ How could she have missed something so big, though. No way. Feeling annoyed at whomever was playing this game, she went up to the statue.

The statue was a little warm against her hand.​

What is the most plausible best case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:she wondered whether the eyes she saw belonged to this 'statue' (for she now suspected it wasn't a statue at all).

"Ok fool, whoever you are, you better explain what you're doing out here. I know you're not a statue," she said jabbing her finger against his or its chest. the eyes of the old man appeared to Do a bit of a circular movement.

"Oh, did you just roll your eyes at me, old man?" She said as she rolled up her sleeves menacingly. I don't care how heavy you look, I will drag you to the guard myself for being a dirty peeping Tom!"

At that, the man appeared to stammer incoherencies.​

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:she wondered whether the eyes she saw belonged to this 'statue' (for she now suspected it wasn't a statue at all).

"Ok fool, whoever you are, you better explain what you're doing out here. I know you're not a statue," she said jabbing her finger against his or its chest.

It gulped and then came silence.​ now the sun was coming before long.​

"You had better talk and explain what were you doing in my room. Someone from the guard will be showing up before the dawn is here, and I'll be glad to tell them that a fat, old Peeping Tom is among their midst."

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:she wondered whether the eyes she saw belonged to this 'statue' (for she now suspected it wasn't a statue at all).

"Ok fool, whoever you are, you better explain what you're doing out here. I know you're not a statue," she said jabbing her finger against his or its chest. "

the fat man grinned.​ a moment of silence passed.​ The fat man's eyes glittered.​

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
(from stack):
she wondered whether the eyes she saw belonged to this 'statue' (for she now suspected it wasn't a statue at all).

"Ok fool, whoever you are, you better explain what you're doing out here. I know you're not a statue," she said jabbing her finger against his or its chest. "

the fat man grinned.​ a moment of silence passed.​ The fat man's eyes glittered.​

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:Greta gets ready to defend herself.​ He was Not Looking at her, but she could see him struggle to answer as if he truly was a statue awakening.​

he said he loved her.​ now THAT was scary to Greta.



What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:Greta gets ready to defend herself.​

He shook himself off and laughed.​ His face showed no emotion at all.​

Greta asked him what he wanted.​ He looked at her with eyes like blue ice and said nothing.​

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:Greta gets ready to defend herself, and heaved a deep sigh And then suddenly began to cry.​

Greta was confused (as am I).

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
(from stack):
Greta gets ready to defend herself.​ He was Not Looking at her, but she could see him struggle to answer as if he truly was a statue awakening.​

he said he loved her.​ now THAT was scary to Greta.

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:"First of all, who are you?" she asked.​

He said he was the first time he had invaded anyone's apartment.

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
"First of all, who are you?" she asked.​

" I'm the Big Man in this place." he said, and laughed.​

"Lord Ingald?"

He said with a grin: "the man himself."

Greta, in unbelief, shook her head and said, "So the Lord of Kragg Keep is a peeping Tom. Why does this weird sh__ happen to me all the time."

The dawn was fast approaching and she would be glad to be away from this place and this strange pervert.
AlexYari
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:40 am

Re: Solo Gaming Appreciation Month 2016: Trollbabe actual pl

Postby Bobbiblackcat » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:36 pm

Finally got down to reading this. Cool stuff.
Bobbiblackcat
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:35 pm

scene 5 & some defacto rules i'm using to work witthe iOS ap

Postby AlexYari » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:50 am

[quote="Bobbiblackcat"]Finally got down to reading this. Cool stuff.


Thanks for the input!

Glad someone is enjoying it on this site. :) Thanks for joining the forum and welcome!

To continue, I'm posting Scene 5 followed by some de facto rules that have evolved as I play with the CreativeWriter iOS app.

Scene 5

from stack):
Lord Ingald was not overjoyed. He was not so much surprised as simultaneously confused and vexed. Incredulously, he asked,"What makes you think that you have right to address the lord of Kragg Keep in such manner?"

She was already stepping away from him, in the direction of the city gate. "What makes YOU think that YOU have a right to come into MY room uninvited?" Horse ***, she thought.

Dawn was already breaking and Joss soon appeared from the opposite direction where Greta was heading. Lord Ingald could not be discovered in this compromising position, so he returned to his old statue form before Joss reached them.

: (from stack): Joss saw the bearded face of lord ingald and his eyes immediately had a miserable look on them. Pointing at the "statue", Greta said, "You don't like it much, huh?" He didn't answer, however.

Acting the fool, she then asked: "who is it?"

"Lord Ingald," he replied. He also said he did not know how the "monument" got to be here. All the same, he would lead her out of the city astride.

[I attempt another Social conflict to find out why Joss seems to dislike Ingald (my goal), but fail.]

"Why do I sense you're not very fond of this man?"

Joss did not remark on it, however. "I'm not at liberty to talk about such things."

: (from stack):
He did as he had been charged and took her to the city's entrance. Greta took the view that while the visit had been all for naught, at the least she would put the incident with Ingald behind her definitively.

Save that it was not to be so simple. Another guard had come down from the opposite direction to arrest her for having taken possession of innkeeper Hilde's money.

: (from stack):
"Wait, what?? That's a big heap of horse... "

They told her death was the fate of those who commit such crimes.

"Looney town, this one," she thought. She was confident that she could easily hurt these guards and escape to the countryside, but she didn't have a desire to do so. She was almost sure this Ingald character was setting her up. she'd love to teach him a lesson in how to treat a girl.

\End Scene 5\

Some Rules That Have Evolved

As I've been becoming more familiar with the CreativeWriter app for iOS, I've noticed that I'm able to more easily access more coherent ideas if I make some compromises. So far, these have morphed into my de facto rules:

- allow pronouns, and even proper names suggested in the tool to act as stand ins for NPCs and PCs that come to mind in the current context of the scene. These bring up more contextual word suggestions than names that do not exist in the apps word bank. (e.g. If I think Joss could say or do something next, I'll pick the pronoun 'he' rather than type in 'Joss')
- do the same for some nouns and words. If they are close enough to suggest a meaning related to the adventure, I'll use them and substitute as needed later when prettifying the game log. (E.g. If the word 'king' is available, I'll bend the meaning to mean Lord Ingald).
- don't try to force grammatically correct sentences or try to make the tool describe an idea in an extremely precise manner. If a phrase is grammatically ugly and also vague, I'll take it if it gets the meaning across well enough.
- All that stuff above can be clarified and prettified later [you will see the ugly truth in the History Log].
- I would rather not do it, but it's ok to provide some of my own input to get the tool to spit word suggestions that make sense to me, if the words that are showing in the word bank do not make sense in the adventure context.

This time I tried hard to make the app responses obey the prompts' instructions, but I'm still on the fence on whether it's worth it with a tool like this which seems to provide a direction all on its own.
It Seems like I have to fish deeper into the word bank more often when trying to find a string of words that fit a sense of what would be 'best', 'worse' or more 'logical' given a context. It feels more like I'm fighting the app than letting it lead. I think that this means that the Prompts are superfluous, and all I need is a random system to accept or reject the app’s input in order to keep things interesting for myself.
Last edited by AlexYari on Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlexYari
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:40 am

Partial history log for Scene 5

Postby AlexYari » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:06 am

This history log is incomplete and may be a bit out of chronological order because I was playing on my mobile phone, and ended up losing the text that was in my browser. I had saved the actual play text, though.

***************HISTORY LOG***************


What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
lord Ingald could not be seen in this compromising position. he went back to his old statue form before Joss reached her.

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:he saw the [figure] statue of [Noel] Lord Ingald and his face became suspicious. [ She was not popular (interpreted as:)] Joss did not look amused at seeing the statue, and looked at her with disaproval.

What is the most plausible best case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:He saw the bearded face of lord ingald and his eyes looked awfully miserable.

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:He looked at the [girl] Greta with uplifted eyebrows and stared at [him] Lord Ingald with great interest.

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?

(from stack):
He saw the bearded face of lord ingald and his eyes looked awfully miserable.
What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
Greta said, "You don't like it much, huh?"
He didn't answer.
Playing dumb, she said: "who is it?"
"He is Lord Ingald". He did not know how [it] the "monument" came to be here.

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
l
ord Ingald could not be seen in this compromising position. he went back to his old statue form before Joss reached her.

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:The man turned on him and began to speak in such absurd nonsense that he was being overwhelmed with confusion.

What is the most plausible best case scenario, event or response that could follow?
He would take her away on horseback.

What is the most plausible best case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:[I attempt another social conflict to find out why Joss seems to dislike Ingald, but fail.]
He did not care to talk about it. But he would not hold [let her ] indiscretion [on her part ] against her.

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
[I attempt another social conflict to find out why Joss seems to dislike Ingald, but fail.]
He did not speak of it. He was not at liberty to tell.

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:The man turned on him and began to speak in such absurd nonsense that he was being overwhelmed with confusion.

What is the most plausible best case scenario, event or response that could follow?
He would take her away on horseback.

What is the most plausible best case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:[I attempt another social conflict to find out why Joss seems to dislike Ingald, but fail.]
He did not care to talk about it. But he would not hold [let her ] indiscretion [on her part ] against her.

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
[I attempt another social conflict to find out why Joss seems to dislike Ingald, but fail.]
He did not speak of it. He was not at liberty to tell.

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:He did as he had been charged and took her towards the entrance of the city. Greta thought that while the visit had been a waste of time, at least she would put the incident with Ingald behind her for good.
except that it was not to be so simple. a man had come down from the opposite direction to arrest her for having taken possession of [the hostess's money.

What is the most logical scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:He did what he had been commanded. Soon she was taking the same route that she had used to come but in a direction away from the city.

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:Then he turned and started toward the gate. Then they were at the gate after a while. But there stood the officer, who came to ask her to return to the inn."The king wants you to stay and meet him." it seemed that she had no other choice.

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
(from stack):
He did as he had been charged and took her towards the entrance of the city. Greta thought that while the visit had been a waste of time, at least she would put the incident with Ingald behind her for good.
except that it was not to be so simple. a man had come down from the opposite direction to arrest her for having taken possession of [the hostess's money.

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:"Wait, what?? That's a big heap of horse... "
Then she dropped a gold chain that did not belong to her. It belonged to Lord ingald.
"that dirty son of a dog!"
They all looked at her and dropped their jaws.

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:"Wait, what?? That's a big heap of horse... "
then she was told that the conduct was immoral, inexcusable, incomprehensible! She was in great trouble. She would be taken to the prison.

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
REJECTED:"Wait, what?? That's a big heap of horse... "
They said that death was the fate of those who commit such crimes.

What is the most plausible worst case scenario, event or response that could follow?
(from stack):
"Wait, what?? That's a big heap of horse... "
They said that death was the fate of those who commit such crimes.
AlexYari
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:40 am

Next

Return to Actual Plays

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron
suspicion-preferred